Chicago Model Fashion Beauty Photo Shoot

This week I had a chance to do something outside my wedding photography element. I got to work with a San Francisco-based model (you might recognize her from a previous lifestyle shoot I did back in September) named Crystelle. She is a friend of mine and does professional modeling. Working with models is a great way to practice your craft as a photographer. You can also learn their posing techniques and implement them on the wedding day with your bride or on your next lifestyle engagement session. It was a freezing day in Chicago so we went to various indoor & outdoor locations in Evanston downtown area for the shoot. Crystelle is a trooper and did a great job despite the Chicago weather.

Big thanks goes out to Lillian from Starlight Makeup Chicago for providing hair & makeup for the shoot. She did an amazing work on Crystelle! She even came out to the shoot w/ us and helped me w/ lighting and even some posing tips. If you need referrals for a professional stylist, look up her company!

Here are some photos from the shoot. I would love to hear comments & suggestions from fashion shoot photographers (if you are out there reading my blog). Be kind, I don’t do this too often! And if you are a model wanting to do lifestyle/fashion shoots like this, drop me a note. I don’t have time to do much of these but would love to do it once in awhile to sharpen my skills & improve my portfolio.

Fashion & Lifstyle Photoshoot

Fashion Beauty & Lifstyle Photoshoot

Fashion & Lifstyle Photoshoot

Fashion Beauty & Lifstyle Photoshoot

Fashion Beauty & Lifestyle Photoshoot

For more, visit: My Portfolio | Resources For Photographers | Twitter: KennyKim | Facebook Page
contact@kennykim.com | 800-539-1294

Be Sociable, Share!

Facebook comments:

22 Responses to “Chicago Model Fashion Beauty Photo Shoot”

1. Alisa Greig says:

kenny, these are fabulous!! i am not a fashion photographer, nor am i at all fashionable, but these are super! beautiful!

2. WOW! I think they’re phenomenal. I love the coloration. One of my favorites is the fourth from the bottom – the composition is perfect. Great job. πŸ™‚

3. Bella V says:

These are fabulous! You really brought out the beauty in Crystelle. I really liked this shoot because there’s such a variety of looks. Kudos πŸ˜‰

4. Curtis Moore says:

Wow! The model looks amazing and the photos are awesome!!! I love how sharp they look!! Great work:)

5. Stephen says:

Rocking the natural light. Her skin is nearly flawless β€” My favorites are the striped dress towards the end. Love the warm almost monochromatic tones you were able to get with them. Truth be told I’m just a sucker for black and white. Do you ever do much with off camera lighting? It’s crazy what you can do with just one light and a reflector.

6. Kenny Kim says:

Thanks everyone. Stephen, most of these shots were actually taken with a light reflector to give that pop color.

7. Stephen says:

Figures, I was wondering how you got all that light in her face without blowing the background too much. They look awesome!

8. wow, i love the use of light. nice work.

9. Such great light! I love the tall grasses by the lake!

10. Otto Rascon says:

These images are awesome dude. Its great to see a beautiful model photographed by a very gifted photographer. The outcome is always stunning. Way to rock it!!!

11. Kenny….they are beautiful! Did you use an off-camera flash with softbox for the indoor shoots?

12. Beautiful pictures Kenny! I love them!

13. Kenny Kim says:

Ginny – thank you. I used mostly just reflectors for the light (both indoor & outdoors) – simple trick but works everytime. It’s a very simple & portable solution.

Robert – I think that was my favorite location. Her hair, clothing style & the flow of the tall grasses really blended well.

Imthiaz – thank you. I checked out your blog yesterday. Great stuff!

When shooting in the cold, make sure you have an extra battery on hand w/ you. I had trouble with camera writing slowly and I noticed my battery level went down faster!

14. Kenny these are wonderful!!! Are you bringing those reflectors to the PP+WS? You should!! I would love to see those in action! Wonderful pictures, beautiful skin tones!

Wendy

15. Kenny Kim says:

Wendy I had one at the last workshop and used it briefly. I will bring it again. πŸ™‚

16. Harry Parker says:

These are very nice, simple, clean and happy. She was a trooper if outside in the cold. I love to shoot people and working with a model is one of my biggest challenges, working with someone who knows how to model is sure a huge help. But really Kenny. Everyone that knows you knows you are good at everything you do. Awesome shots! God Bless and Happy Holidays!

17. DAWN DAVIS says:

Sweet… !!!! She’s beautiful and you did an amazing job capturing that!

18. Kenny Kim says:

Harry – good to hear from you. Hope you are doing well. How’s your photography business going? I was recently at DJ’s house so I thought of you.

Dawn – Thank you for your comment!

19. Andi Diamond says:

SO beautiful Kenny! Great captures! Love it!

20. Kenny- What wonderful work! She is absolutely gorgeous!!!!