Thirst Relief Project Update: Day 4 Meet Pastor Mwambungu

Today’s blog is going to be little bit different. I want to share with you about the power of how Thirst Relief can impact the lives of people. I want to focus on one individual that I met here. His name is Pastor Mwambungu (wom-boong-goo). He is a pastor of a local Tanzanian church in Dar es Salaam and he also oversees several other churches in the area. That’s not all. He also works at the workshop where the bio sand filters (sponsored by Thirst Relief) are made.

Thirst Relief Update

We wanted to interview him because he is an ideal testimony of how Thirst Relief is helping the native people are effectively helping out their own community while providing them w/ jobs and coming up with solutions for clean water. Instead of doing this interview at the workshop facility, we asked if we can do this interview at his church and/or his home where he himself uses the bio sand filter.

Thirst Relief Update

When we arrived at this home, we were all shocked to see the condition of his home. Our idea of living with necessities does not even come close to Pastor Mwambungu’s lifestyle. He lives in a 3 room hut made of mud with a family of 6.

Thirst Relief Update

To me, Pastor Mwambungu exemplifies the type of man who lives what he preaches. He is the most gentle, humble and kind man I have ever met.You can see it in his eyes when he looks at you and you can definitely feel it in his embrace when he gives you a hug. Although we couldn’t communicate clearly because of our language barrier we both knew we felt the bond of brotherhood through Christ.

Thirst Relief Update

We were privileged to attend his church on Sunday and participate in their service. They graciously provided Emmanuel, also a worker at the Thirst Relief workshop, to translate for us so that were not lost. I can honestly say this service was one of the best ones I’ve attended in a long long time. We got so blessed by the genuine heartfelt worship that took place – I think at one point all of us (except for Jim) were filled with tears.

Their orphanage children’s choir blessed with few songs in the beginning:
Thirst Relief Update

Then it was followed by more praise & worship time. I’ve photographed many concerts and church events but I haven’t seen this type of heartfelt & genuine worship in a long time. When you think about the kind of life that they have and for them to be filled with so much thankfulness and hope during praise time, it moved me to tears.
Thirst Relief Update

I want to pause and focus on this beautiful girl. She looks like she is about 8 years old but actually she is 15 years old and she has HIV. She was brought to the orphanage when she was about 3 and she was barely alive. They have taken her in and now she is healthy and active. Seeing her pure worship reminded of the verse in book of Matthews 6:5 – “blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God.” I was envious seeing her give her best to God and wished I could see and feel what she was experiencing.

Thirst Relief Update

Todd & Jim got to share their brief message before Pastor Mwambungu came up to preach
Thirst Relief Update

After his message, it was followed by more time of prayer, praise and worship.
Thirst Relief Update

When Jesus came down to earth, he came down to live and dwelled among us. As much as I don’t want to put a man on a pedestal, I really feel like Pastor Mwambungu models the life of Christ. He is also one of many lives that Thirst Relief is impacting through their project. Hearing about it is one thing but to witness it is so powerful. I am so thankful that I am involved with this organization.

We are all wrapped up with our project and will begin our journey home tomorrow. Although I will be sad to leave this all behind, I am looking forward to going back with the convictions and footage we were able to capture. I cannot wait to go back home to share this experience with others.

For more, visit: My Portfolio | Resources For Photographers | Twitter: KennyKim | Facebook Page
contact@kennykim.com | 800-539-1294

Be Sociable, Share!

Facebook comments:

17 Responses to “Thirst Relief Project Update: Day 4 Meet Pastor Mwambungu”

1. MattDJ says:

Oh my goodness. Truly a blessing to read AND see. Another beautiful post Kenny. Wish I could serve with you guys there.

2. helga says:

Kenny you truly blessed and thank you for sharing in a beautiful way!

3. Sharon Snow says:

A perfect read Kenny, to begin a new week. Your images and words are captivating and truly a blessing for all of us to share in. So many images stood out as noteworthy, but one that stays in my mind is the little girl in holding on to (I pressume) her Mama’s leg. It would make for a beautiful Mother’s day card. I also love the shot of the boys reading the bible, the little boy reading with his Mama, and the children singing. I hope one day that I might join you on such a mission, and take part in such an amazing experience. Thank you so much for sharing your story and pictures with us.

4. Matt Hall says:

Kenny thank you so much for sharring this trip with us. I am blessed by these images and your talents.
    Thanks Kenny! You rock! -Matt

5. mery donald says:

Kenny! Thanks so much for sharing all of this. You have been truely blessed to experience this and a blessing to everyone who meets you! Thanks so much! Wish I could have been there with you all!

6. Esther says:

beautiful Kenny.. nothing like worshiping in Africa.

7. Armin says:

Powerful post, thanks for sharing Kenny.

8. Kenny Nakai says:

It is amazing how He works so mightily across the world- and how life can be stripped down to the bare essentials, and yet the worship of God still exists-

9. Kenny Kim says:

Thank you everyone for your comments. They are encouraging!

10. Otto Rascon says:

Kenny, thanks for sharing these images and your thoughts. It is amazing to see people so far away still worship God and love Him as well. I fell a bit weird in that we have SO MUCH material possessions, yet we complain and want more all of the time. Seeing the pastor live in such humble conditions is moving to say the least. I have so much to learn from his humble home. we don’t need more stuff, we need more love and friendships. Thank you.

11. Thank you, thank you, thank you for documenting this. I’ve been following you for so long and this is so powerful. Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone.

12. Kenny Kim says:

Thanks everyone for the encouragements! Stay tuned for the promo video that is being made for this!

13. Sabrina says:

Kenny, wow. Incredible. Thank you so much for capturing all of this. The Lord is doing some mighty work around the globe and it’s awesome to see how He uses those who are willing to stand and say, Here am I, send me. THANK YOU for being so willing and for sharing this with the world!

14. Ann says:

Hi Kenny,

Thanks so much for your great posting! The pictures are awesome, and you certainly have shared your heart! It is such a blessing to see that others have been touched Pastor Mwambungu as we have. Thanks so much for for sharing this. We certainly have alot to be thankful for this thanksgiving!

15. Kenny Kim says:

Ann thank you so much for spending the time with us to show us what you guys are doing. You and Todd are true examples of what living out the gospels is all about. We had an eye-opening experience out there and cannot wait to share the news/story w/ the people back home. I hope you guys had a safe journey back home. Please enjoy the Thanksgiving week w/ your friends/family.

16. Sergio Ruiz says:

Kenny, this is an awesome project, thanks very much for sharing. Speechless, no words required to explain. Thanks again.

17. Hey Kenny……great images! Thanks for sharing such moving photos and for being part of such an amazing organization! Truly an experience I am sure and I just know your influence will create even greater support for the cause! AND I LOVE YOU! Kisses & Hugs! Good to see you last week! XXOO